High school offers diverse clubs

High school offers diverse clubs

As the ninth graders move to the high school next year, they have many choices for clubs to join. Here at the junior high there are clubs students can get involved with but not like the high school.

On April 8, ninth grade junior high students toured the high school; they were able to see one of the clubs at the high school in action. The drama club acted out two of their scenes from the play they were hosting that Friday. Before they performed, the principal of the high school announced that she wanted her students to get involved with as many things as they wanted.

Some of the clubs in the high school are Advanced Dance Class Club, Aevidum, Girls League, Ambassadors Club, Jr. Academy of Science Club, Astronomy Club, Key Club, Chess Club, Lioneers, Class of 2015, Class of 2016, Class of 2017, National Honor Society, Mock Trial Team, National Art Honor Society, Computer Club, Performing Arts Club, Earthkeepers Club, Principal’s Students Advisory Committee, ETC Literary Magazine, Quill and Scroll, Foreign Language Club,Speech League, Future Business Leaders of America Club, Student Council, Students against Destructive Decisions, Future Homemakers of America Club, Youth Education Assn. Club, Youth and Government Club, General Interest Club, Homecoming Committee and The Circle of Friends.

Drew Yingling is the head leader of a club called Aevidum. Aevidum was recently added to the list of clubs in the high school and junior high just about three years ago.

“ The club was originally established in 2003-2004 at Cocalico High School in Pennsylvania after a student committed suicide. Since then Aevidum has tried to help teens with depression, suicide awareness and many other teen issues to build a better community both in and out of the school environment,” Yingling said.

Aevidum does not direct their attention to one certain group of kids. They encourage sports teams and all students. Aevidum is meant to spread positive attitudes, encourage students and let them know that there is always someone to talk to if they have a problem they need to talk about or deal with.

“ We have done things like Happy Grams and presentations to help kick-off Aevidum at other local schools. Sent messages to schools that suffered tragedies to promote a better community by creating a video with a message. We have banners placed around the junior high and high school to let them know we have thier back,” Yingling said.

Among the clubs at the high school there is a club known as circle of friends. Circle of friends is a club that allows students to interact and socialize with students who have a mental disability. This is club is allowing students to reach out to kids they don’t see on a normal bases and build a relationship with them. Circle of friends is a club at the high school and junior high.

“ My favorite event I have done in circle of friends was the Valentine’s day party because I was in charge of this golf game. I was able to interact with the other kids while also having a good time,” Jessica Stevens said.

At the high school there is specific club for everyone. The choices are endless, get involved!