Students give opinions on lanyards

Photo taken by Miranda Harkins
Eighth grade students, Nathaniel Alverson and Alex Vicars stand to get their picture taken with their lanyards.
Photo taken by Miranda Harkins

All students began wearing their lanyards and ID’s Feb. 1.

Everyone has different opinions towards the lanyards.

“I think it’s a good idea to a certain extent because it helps keep us safe, but a lot of kids don’t like how it corresponds with their outfits,” eighth grader Aslinn Pardellas said.

“I think they’re pretty cool,” eighth grader Demia Shaneyfelt said.

“Honestly, I hate the idea because its not going to help anyone.  Someone could easily forget theirs and because of it they will get detention.  Its not fair,” ninth grader Hannah Parks said.

“Quite frankly, I don’t think it makes a difference,” ninth grader Mariah Alverson said.

Some students believe it will be a huge distraction among many.

“I definitely think it will be a distraction to the students, including me,” ninth grade Jayden Peterman said.

“It’s very distracting and fun to play with,” Alverson said.

Students have been complaining a lot lately on why they can’t wear their own lanyards instead of the schools.

“They’re ugly! Why can’t we just buy and wear our own?’ Alverson said.

“I hate that we can’t wear our own lanyards,” Peterman said.

According to Lori Mangan, students can’t wear their own lanyards due to security reasons.

Even though many students do not like wearing the lanyards, they plan on being responsible and wearing them anyway.

“I will be responsible and wear mine because I really don’t want an after school detention,” Alverson said.

“Oh yeah I will definitely wear mine.  It’s not worth getting an after school detention over not wearing it,” Pardellas said.

Although many think good will come out of wearing the lanyards, a lot believe that bad will come out of wearing them.

“I think good will come out of this because it’s a safety measure that isn’t expensive and it’s and easy way to keep track of everyone,” Pardellas said.

“I think bad will come out of this because not many will want to wear it, they could easily be stolen, many could be choked and a lot of the students will lose them,” Alverson said.

“Hopefully, we will get used to the idea of wearing our lanyards every day, and soon walk around the halls as if there is nothing hanging from our necks,” Peterman said.