Student council raises money for those in need

Ninth grade student council member Courtney Detwiler wraps gifts to be given to the children who live at Evergreen Manor.  Photo Courtesy of Miranda Harkins

Ninth grade student council member Courtney Detwiler wraps gifts to be given to the children who live at Evergreen Manor. Photo Courtesy of Miranda Harkins

Ninth grade student council member Courtney Detwiler wraps gifts to be given to the children who live at Evergreen Manor. Photo by Miranda Harkins

“Helping others helped us realize that there are less fortunate people out there and we need to help them,” ninth grader Rachel Pearlman said.

The student council for all grade levels raised money to help out the children in need who live at the Evergreen Manor.

“Instead of having a Christmas Exchange, all three grade level student councils donated ten dollars toward buying items for the children,” Pearlman said.

There were many items that the students bought to give to the children at Evergreen Manor.

“We got some footballs, hula hoops, bubbles, outdoor stuff and art supplies,” Pearlman said.

“We also got them Easter eggs filled with candy,” ninth grader Madison Frank said.

The student council participated in  many other activities with the people who live at Evergreen Manor.

“In the past, we made crafts with them and played a game of football,” Pearlman said.

According to Pearlman, there are quite a few benefits that come out of helping the children.

“We get to help them and give them things they normally wouldn’t have,” Pearlman said.

Pearlman and Frank said a few things about what they thought of student council.

“The best part of student council is getting to be involved and help out our community,” Pearlman said.

“I think the best part of being in student council is doing things to help the students at AAJHS,” Frank said.

“Most importantly, don’t be selfish.  Instead of spending all your money and time on you, think of how you can use it to help others in need,” Pearlman said.