Empty bowls fill empty stomachs

Community Inspired Arts club members stand together holding the bowls they made for the empty bowls program.
~Photo by Ann Bickel
Community Inspired Arts club members stand together holding the bowls they made for the empty bowls program. ~Photo by Ann Bickel

Community Inspired Arts club students get together each week, on Mondays and Wednesdays, to create empty bowls for their big event coming up on May 2.   Sarah O’ Roark and Ann Bickel will hold this event, and it will take place in the school’s cafeteria A from 4.30 to 6:00 p.m.

“Empty bowls is an international grassroots organization that is designed to stop world hunger. The man who started it decided one day to make bowls and have people over for a meal.  They paid for the bowl and the meal and then he donated all the proceeds,” Bickel said.

The CIA club has been working on the empty bowls project since February, and it’s the third year they have decided to do this, according to Bickel.

“At the event, all the CIA students will serve the guests with food and talk about their experiences in the club along with what they learned from the lesson of giving back to the community,” Bickel said.

The event is not only going to benefit the backpack program, but possibly the food bank.

“This year we are giving half of what we make to the mountain lion backpack program.  Right now it is a program at Wright elementary school, and they pack backpacks of food for kids who don’t have a lot to eat on the weekends.  The money is going to allow them to purchase food and extra backpacks and they hope to grow that program to all the elementary schools.  The other half of the money we’re thinking of donated to the food bank,” Bickel said.

“We ask for a donation, so if a student were to come and donate $5  that’s great the requested donation amount is $10 but for a student to come we would welcome them and $5 would be fine,” Bickel said.

“It would really mean a lot to the club and the teachers in charge and especially the people who are getting the dinner from the soup kitchen that could not have food any other way.  We would really appreciate for everyone to join us at this event,” ninth grader CIA student Cheyenne Johnston said.

~Photo by Ann Bickel