Empty Bowls; having fun, helping some

The pottery-made bowels sit ready to be picked up by their new owners.  Photo by Tyler McCloskey
The pottery-made bowels sit ready to be picked up by their new owners. Photo by Tyler McCloskey

Empty Bowls is an event in which people buy pottery-made bowls and sell them to family and friends.  The proceeds go to the Altoona Food Bank and the Mountain Lion Backpack Program.

“I think empty bowls is beautiful.  To think that people can use their creative energy to end world hunger gives me hope for the future,”  Ninth grade art teacher Ann Bickel said.  “This is the hardest group of working students.  Each year they continue to raise the bar.”

“We are donating $1500 to the Mountain Lion Backpack Program and $500 to the Altoona Food Bank,” Bickel added.  “The $1500 should feed 15 kids, that’s how much it costs for food.”  The Community Inspired Arts program worked continuously for this, and it turned out mighty fine.

The Empty Bowls donation box sits at the entrance to collect donations. Photo by Tyler McCloskey
Courtney Detwiler plays her cello at the Empty Bowls event for entertainment. Photo by Tyler McCloskey
The pottery-made bowls sit ready to be picked up by their new owners. Photo by Tyler McCloskey
Debbie Saylor looks for her bowl at the Empty Bowls event. Photo by Tyler McCloskey
Steve Spinner and Mandi Stine look for their bowls at the Empty Bowls event. Photo by Tyler McCloskey.