Street Smart Assembly educates students

At the end of the assembly, they conclude with the rare possibility of Toohey being saved. McCluan said that if this accident were to have actually happened, Toohey would never be able to walk again. Also, it is most likely that people in that bad of an accident would have died. Photo by Cassy Salyards

Joe McCluan and Scott McIntyre are firefighter paramedics from Orlando, Florida. On May 10, 2013, these two men came to speak to students about being street smart and how to be safe while driving. McCluan and McIntyre used demonstrations with students to get their point across about the dangers of driving and not wearing your seatbelt.

Joe McCluan starts out the assembly by telling students his name and his partners name. Next, he showed different images of car accidents and the people involved. He also explained his job as a firefighter paramedic. Photo by Cassy Salyards
The set up for the assembly had a table and other tools used for demonstrations. Also they had photos and videos set up for students to watch on the projector. Photo by Cassy Salyards
McCluan and McIntyre demonstrated what steps they have to go through to help save a person from a near death experience from a car crash. McCluan and McIntyre used ninth grader Christian Toohey for the demonstration. Photo by Cassy Salyards
McIntyre hooks up Toohey to a saline bag during the demonstration showing all of the tools needed to help save his life for the scenario. They went through a story line of all the right and wrong choices he was to make if he went to a party. Photo by Cassy Salyards