Keystones testing returns for second year

The Keystones are standardized tests. Students must pass them in order to graduate.

Keystone testing for this year returned with the math Keystones  Dec. 4-5. Students had three periods to finish the test over the course of two days. Students in ninth grade who did not get proficient or higher on the test in their eighth grade year had to retake the test.

The Keystones are standardized tests that students have to pass in order to graduate.

Currently students are tested in Algebra 1 and biology.  Soon literature will be added.   Students take the Algebra one math in their eighth grade year in the spring. The other two tests happen in ninth grade.

Students will have to take the biology portion in ninth grade during the spring. The literature portion will take place in the students tenth grade year. To pass on the Keystones students must score 1,500 points or more. The keystones are a requirement made by the state of PA to see if students are learning the materials needed to graduate. Students have mixed feelings about the keystones and why they have to take them.

“I don’t think we should be taking the Keystones or it should be a requirement for graduation,” ninth grader Emerald Nimitz said.

Students feel stress from the testing.

“Students have other things to worry about other than the Keystone tests,” Nimitz said.

The Keystones define how well the students do in school and how they use their materials.

“Many students have test taking anxiety, and it doesn’t show how smart a student is,” Nimitz said.

Many students last year had to retake the Keystones again to try and pass.