Library hosts Scholastic book fair

Ninth grader, Kyle Roberts examines the books that he is purchasing at the Book Fair. He bought the books to support Scholastic.
Photo By: Hanna Feathers
Ninth grader, Kyle Roberts examines the books that he is purchasing at the Book Fair. He bought the books to support Scholastic. Photo By: Hanna Feathers

From Dec. 9 to 13 , a book fair was stationed in the school library. Scholastic provides the materials for the book fair, and  it was open to all students.

During English classes, students had the chance to visit and purchase whatever book they chose. A nighttime event was also held before a jazz band concert on Dec. 10. If a student was absent,  the books were available online. They were shipped free to the school and delivered after holiday break.

The book fair was hosted Justina McCulley, school librarian.

“It was brought to my attention that several students missed having the book fair the at the elementary, and they wanted to know if it could be done at the junior high,” McCulley said. “After a talk with Mrs. Mangan, it was decided we could have a book fair.”

“I do believe this was important event. It promoted literature and allowed students to be able to choose what they want to read for a time instead of being told what to read,” McCulley said.

Currently many teachers, students and McCulley hope to see another fair next year.

Scholastic hosts book fairs across the country, primarily targeted in elementary schools.

“This was the schools first book fair,” McCulley said.

Books sold very well. The most popular book was Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer, which had to reordered multiple times. The fair itself raised over $13,000 which went toward the library and its maintenance.

Ninth grader, Kyle Roberts examines the books that he is purchasing at the Book Fair. 
Photo by Hanna Feathers