Supervision limits destruction to restrooms

Ninth grade Civics teacher, John Blough, holds up the sheet for the boys bathroom. Teachers who are assigned a certain time to sit outside the bathroom to do the sign in and out sheet. Photo by Hannah Barr
Picasa

Lately some students have ruined it for others by going to the lavatory and practicing bad behavior. This makes other students have to sign in and out of the restroom. In a result this makes teachers watch students while walking in and out of the bathroom.

“There were like multiple issues, first of  all it was being flooded on a consistent basis, and what that means is that students would take rolled up wads of paper towels and usually that works in like the urinals, and then they just keep flushing, and it just overflows. Without going into too much detail there are some toilet stalls that were left a mess. On top of that a student or students were starting to remove the mirrors on the wall and that was a safety issue because when they removed them they would just lay them on the sink shelf. If one were to fall the mirror would break and then we would have a safety hazard,”  ninth grade Principal Jerry Koehle said.

Students and teachers are upset that other students acted this way and additional supervision is needed at the ninth grade level.

“ It shouldn’t be necessary since they are ninth graders, but it apparently is necessary because some boys can’t be mature,” Stephanie McAleer said.

Students have also reacted to the problems.

“I think its pretty stupid because we should have the responsibility to not destroy the bathrooms,” Austin Delbaggio said.

Students must sign in and out when going to the lavatory, on the sign out sheets found in every classroom. Some teachers even have to take their Principals’ assignment  and watch the students going in and out of the restrooms just to be on the safe side about what’s going on.

“This happened two or three times, and then they started to take not only the same one off but the other ones off. So those were the main concerns that we had had. There were some more minor things that had happened but those were the main things that were happening on a consistent basis,” Koehle said.

Teachers must now also pay close attention to the number of students going to the restroom in between classes and monitor those students as well.

“You know its just hard  to think those things that are going on in the junior high. They require the custodians  to come up and clean  the water on the floor.  That’s the least of their worries because the messes in the toilet area were just disgusting, ” Koehle said.

Students are encouraged to act responsibly and to make sure these issues never happen again.