Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect

Students throughout the year were always wondering what it was like to dissect a dead organism.

“It was fun.  It was an interesting experience to dissect a starfish.  We had a lot of fun with it, and I am glad I got the opportunity to do it,” honors student Ally Fama said.

Students had to dissect the stomach, arms and organs of the starfish.  Also students had to dissect crayfish and frogs.

Here are some quotes from two of Heather Partsch’s honors biology class.

” I thought it was kind of discusting.  Seeing all the features inside and it smelt pretty bad,” honors student Jarod Kutz said.

” It was a fun time but it was kind of slimey but it was so much fun,”  student Kyle Good said.

Here are the photos of students who dissected the starfish.

KODAK Digital Still Camera
Teamwork! Mathew Cowan and Leroy Henry are splicing their starfish in half to look for the heart. All of the groups had to find different organs in the starfish. Photo by Jacob Hord
KODAK Digital Still Camera
Way to go! Jacob Hord is dissecting the starfish’s leg to find the different organs. They had to start down by the leg it order to find what they were looking for. Photo by Jacob Hord
KODAK Digital Still Camera
Go Sadie! Sadie Rhyner is cutting up the legs of the starfish so that she can look inside of it. After the project some students found it to be gross. Photo by Jacob Hord
KODAK Digital Still Camera
Cutting some starfish! We see Sadie Rhyner and Katie Plunket cutting the starfish’s dorsal side. They had to do this in order to find what they were looking for. Photo by Jacob Hord
KODAK Digital Still Camera
Good job! Lily Smith and Alexa Young are holding up the starfish so that they can cut it where they want to. Many students like them had to move the starfish the way they needed to. Photo by Jacob Hord
KODAK Digital Still Camera
Pointing it out! Leroy Henry is showing his group where and how to cut the starfish. He acted like the group leader for this project in fifth period biology. Photo by Jacob Hord