White comes out on top over Maroon

Paige Whitfield shoots two foul shots after being fouled going in for a layup after stealing the ball from the white team.

On Sept. 29 the maroon and white girls’ eighth grade basketball teams played against one another.  The white team started off with a 6-0 lead within the first two minutes of the game.

During the first half the maroon team wouldn’t let the white team get a bigger lead. With their coaches screaming out plays and the girls yelling “shot” when the ball was in the air,  it got the stands cheering. At the end of  the first half the white team had a 5 point lead over the maroon team.

After halftime, the game continued with the white still in the lead. The maroon team needed points.

“I think we worked together as a team because some of our players got hurt, and we stepped it up as it went on,” Paige Whitfield said.

Whitfield is the starting point guard for the maroon team.

One of the maroon team girls got injured. Madison Shetrom fell down on her ankle after being fouled going in for a half court layup after stealing the ball from one of the white team players.

“ I was afraid that she was hurt and wouldn’t  be able to play but then she got up, and I was glad,” Whitfield said.

The white team had the lead the whole game and Alana Biesecker led the scoreboard with 18 points at the end of the game. Paige Whitfield finished the game with 21 points for the maroon team. The final score  was 34- 28 white.

The two teams are friends off the court.

”Yeah I’m friends with Amber Newberry, Darcy Lee, Maura Skelley, Sarah Brumbaugh and Alayna Biesecker. We all know each other from past team,” Whitfield said.

The maroon team coach was proud of how the girls played even though they lost.

“She wasn’t disappointed that we lost she was proud of how we played,” Whitfield said about her coach.

At the end of the game, the two teams came together and met in the middle of the court for a meeting with the ninth grade coach. The ninth grade coach is also the eighth grade white coach. The maroon and white team came together as one team as they yelled the team cheer together.

“I look forward to becoming one team next year,” said Whitfield.

Paige Whitfield dribbles down the court looking to pass to her teammate. Maura Skelley defends her as she makes her way down the court.