Live Better

Inside the blender, the Wendys Frosty is being made.  The blend of ingredients splattered all over the sides of the blender as it mixed together.
Picasa
Inside the blender, the Wendy’s Frosty is being made. The blend of ingredients splattered all over the sides of the blender as it mixed together.

Food, Food and More Food

Make life easier with these simple hacks.  There is a different hack theme every week.

This week’s blog is about food hacks.  These food hacks will let anyone make good food in a shorter amount of time. Most of the hacks are used from http://1000lifehacks.com/https://www.pinterest.com/

Life Hack: Instead of paying money for a Frosty from Wendy’s, people can make one at home. It is called a skinny shake that tastes like a Frosty.

Procedure: Add ¾ cup of almond milk, about 15 ice cubes, ½ tsp of vanilla, 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder and half a banana to a blender.  Mix until smooth and enjoy.

My Results: The one I made was a very dark shade of brown.  In the real life hack it looked exactly like the Wendy’s Frosty and was a light shade of brown.  It tasted very bitter and had too much chocolate.  The banana was too faint and the almond milk did not taste good with everything else.  Over all, I would not do it again.

Rating: 3/10

In the process of making a skinny shake, the mixture starts to slowly turn to Wendy's Frosty. In the end, it did not turn out to be exactly like the shake.
In the process of making a skinny shake, the mixture starts to slowly turn to Wendy’s Frosty. In the end, it did not turn out to be exactly like the shake. Photo by Nina Cipriani
Inside the blender, the Wendy's Frosty is being made. The blend of ingredients splattered all over the sides of the blender as it mixed together.
Inside the blender, the Wendy’s Frosty is being made. The blend of ingredients splattered all over the sides of the blender as it mixed together. Photo by Nina Cipriani

Just coming out of the oven, the potato wedges are ready. They were crispy and tasted better than most fries.

Life Hack: Fries are difficult to make.  With this recipe people can a lot of fries in a short time with just a few ingredients and a few potatoes.

Procedure: Wash the potatoes.  Cut the potatoes almost the whole way through.  Put them on a tray and drizzle oil or vegetable oil on top.  Next, add salt, pepper and butter.  Put them in the oven for forty minutes at 425 degrees.

My Results: I made two potatoes.  The ones I made took a little longer than 40 minutes.  When I took them out, they needed more salt and they were a little too hard for my taste.  But over all, they tasted like regular potato wedges, I liked them.

Rating: 8/10

Life Hack: Peeling an orange can be time consuming and difficult.  This way will take a shorter amount of time and does not need people to use a their hands, just a knife.

Procedure: Cut each end off, then cut almost through the middle of the orange.  Pull apart and then peel the rest of the orange peel off.

My Results: I tried this on two different types of oranges.  Yes, it did work, but it was very messy.  There was orange juice everywhere and there was still an extra step after you cut it all.  Also, the directions can be confusing. Over all, it did kind of work.
Rating: 7/10

Before finishing cutting the orange, the ends of the orange are cut off. This happened before the orange was cut down the middle. Photo by Nina Cipriani
After the orange is cut down the middle, the orange is spread apart. The peel of the orange was then taken off and the orange was eaten. Photo by Nina Cipriani

With a different orange, the ends are cut off. This happened just before the orange was cut down the middle in order to eat the orange. Photo by Nina Cipriani
After the orange is cut down the middle, it is spread apart. The orange was accidentally spread too far, causing the orange to break apart before peeling off the peel. Photo by Nina Cipriani

Life Hack: Instead of using a measuring cup or a spoon, you can use a plastic container like in the picture below.  It is cleaner to use and also creates a more circular pancake because of the precise aiming of the container.

Procedure: Make any pancake batter you would like, put it into the plastic squirt container then squirt into the pan.  Continue with the regular procedure of making pancakes.

My Results: I liked how the pancakes were a lot more circular using this method than using a spoon or other utensil.  Over all, I liked this method.

Rating: 9/10

As the batter goes into the pan, the plastic bottle is being squeezed in order to make the pancake. The pancake was more circular with this method.
As the batter goes into the pan, the plastic bottle is being squeezed in order to make the pancake. The pancake was more circular with this method. Photo by Nina Cipriani
After the batter was in the pan, the pancakes are ready to cook. This method made making pancakes a lot easier.
After the batter was in the pan, the pancakes are ready to cook. This method made making pancakes a lot easier. Photo by Nina Cipriani

Life Hack: Making a grilled cheese involved two pieces of bread.  With this method, you can use two pieces of bread for twice the food.  

Procedure: Instead of putting the two pieces of bread together, you roll out the bread until it is flat and add a slice or two of cheese.  Roll up the slice of bread with your fingers.  Butter the pan and the outside of the bread.  Put the rolled bread into the pan and cook to your liking.  Then, enjoy.

My Results: I liked this method.  It came out with the same results as a normal grilled cheese sandwich but you can make twice the amount of food just by rolling up the bread.  You can also fit multiple in the pan which is convenient.  However, because of how tight I rolled the bread, the cheese didn’t melt that much.  Over all, I liked it.

Rating: 8/10

After rolling out the bread, the cheese is added. There were two slices of cheese that were added.
Before anything, the bread was rolled out. There were two slices of cheese that were added. Photo by Nina Cipriani
After putting the rolled sandwich into the pan, the sandwich is beginning to cook. The grilled cheese was flipped onto all for sides.

Life Hack: Sometimes making a whole tray of brownies is too much and you just want a brownie to yourself.  One serving size can be made in a mug with a few ingredients.

Procedure: Add the following ingredients to a mug in order: ¼ cup of sugar, ¼ cup flour, 2 tbsp of cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, 2 tbsp of oil, 3 tbsp of water, and optional ice cream or whipped cream after it is baked.  Mix these ingredients together in the mug thoroughly until consistent.  Put in the microwave for a minute and forty seconds.  Enjoy.

My Results: This is better than any boxed brownie mix or homemade brownies I have ever tasted.  This was my favorite out of all the food hacks.  The brownie was fluffy and put into the microwave for just the right amount.  It tasted so chocolaty and there was no need for chocolate chips.  Over all, I liked it a lot.

Rating: 10/10

After taking the brownie out of the microwave, it is thoroughly baked. The brownie was fluffy and gooey at the same time.
After taking the brownie out of the microwave, it is thoroughly baked. The brownie was fluffy and gooey at the same time. Photo by Nina Cipriani