• May 8Badminton Tournament, Basketball Tournament and Dodge Ball Games May 14 from 3-5 in A and B Gyms.

• May 8In need of dresses, ties, shirts/pants or shoes - check out the Social closet in room 210.

• May 89th graders: Social tickets will be sold for $10.00 the week of the dance.

• May 8AAHS Mountain Lion Mascot Tryouts Wednesday, May 15 at 3:00 pm in Room B8.

• May 8AAHS Cheerleading tryouts will be held in the AAHS Auxiliary Gym on May 6 and 8-10

• May 8Summer school applications are available in the guidance office until May 14

• March 13The Daffodil DELIVERY DATE has been moved to WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3.

Ninth grade track athletes compete at districts

“I liked the atmosphere at districts,” freshman student Maggie Fox said. “It was incredible competing against some of the best athletes in our district.”

On Thursday, May 18, select athletes from the Altoona Area High School track and field team competed in the District Six meet in order to qualify for states.

Districts took place at Mansion Park in Altoona, Pennsylvania. The head coaches of the ninth grade track team are Stephanie McAleer and Damon Luciano.

Schools that competed include Altoona Area High School, Hollidaysburg Area High School, State College Area High School, Somerset Area High School and multiple others. Sprinters, jumpers, pole vaulters, throwers and distance runners from all over the district six area competed at the meet.

“It was bittersweet seeing the seniors leave, but I really enjoyed competing.” Fox said.

Jump! Ninth grader Kobe Harr soars over a hurdle in the 110m boys hurdles final. The boys’ hurdles are three inches higher than the girls’ hurdles. Photo by Paige Glasgow.

Finish strong! Freshman Julianna Kratzer gets ready to hand off the baton to the next runner in the girls’ 4×8 race. Kratzer ran second in her team. Photo by Paige Glasgow.

Ninth graders Gianna Caputo and Maggie Fox fly over hurdles in the 100m girls hurdles final. Caputo placed second and Fox placed fourth. Photo by Paige Glasgow.

Throw it! Freshman Ben Tofano throws the shot as far as possible in the boys’ shot put event. Tofano placed second in the final at districts. Photo by Paige Glasgow.

Off to a good start! Freshman Riley Boutiller prepares to finish her first lap in the girls’ 4×8 race. Boutiller ran with the Altoona cross country team during the summer and fall seasons. Photo by Paige Glasgow.

Almost to the end! Ninth graders Gianna Caputo and Maggie Fox sprint towards the last hurdle during the girls’ 100m hurdles final. Awards were given after each event where athletes would stand on the podium for pictures. Photo by Paige Glasgow.

About the Contributor
Paige Glasgow, Photographer

Paige Glasgow is an academic ninth grade student at Altoona Area Junior High School. She is involved in cheerleading for the AAJHS and is one of the captains...