Editorial: 17 ways to honor those who lost their lives in the Parkland Shooting

Students in Makenzie Wilt's eighth grade classroom write postcards to Parkland students after viewing the television segment created by AAHS students.

Ben Blackie

Ben Blackie

One month ago, the Parkland, Florida shooting occurred. This shooting was devastating and caused the tragic loss of 14 high school students and three male staff members. Across the nation, many schools planned to walk out on March 14. Although many students participated in the walkout, it wasn’t the safest way to express concerns about the current gun control laws. Students can show there respect for the Parkland students and bring attention to gun control in so many other ways.

The Top 17 list

1.  Hold moment of silence for those who lost their lives on Feb. 14 at the Florida high school.

2.   Create a mural or different artwork to send to the students who are healing or place the artwork in this school in remembrance.

3.   Put nice messages on post it notes on lockers to spread love.

4.  Hold a ROAR day where students can receive lion loot for wearing the Parkland School colors.

5.   Organize a fundraiser memorial walk.

6.  Have a candlelight vigil or have lanterns to light up and bring to school to hang around the hallways to remember victims.

7.  Host a talent show and name awards after those who lost their lives to commemorate the victims of the shooting.

8. Establish a day off school where students can go help with community service and help better the town by volunteering somewhere.

9. Create posters around the school about school safety to reassure the students within the school.

10.  Create cards to send to Parkland and write nice messages inside the cards.

11. Wear a ribbon in the memory of the victims.

12.  Write down seventeen things to be thankful for and put the responses on the walls.

13.  Hold an assembly and learn more about gun safety and encourage students if they see something suspicious report it.

14.  The Livewire offers a scavenger hunt with 17 different prizes to 17 students who complete the hunt first.

15.  Hold a sports day where students pay money to get into the area and the proceeds would go to a charity created to honor the victims.

16.  Donate money to a scholarship fund in the victims’ names.

17.   Make shirts that will be sold then the proceeds would be donated to the scholarship fund.

This devastating shooting will not be forgotten, and students will continue to honor those who lost their lives and take efforts to try to prevent this from ever happening again.

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Editorial: 17 ways to honor those who lost their lives in the Parkland Shooting”

1. Mrs. Wilson on March 15th, 2018 11:24 am

So proud of these ideas!! They are very creative, original, and thought-provoking. Great job Livewire staff and Mrs. Vanish!

2. Mrs. Hogan on March 15th, 2018 11:25 am

These are great ideas that Student Council would be happy to help implement! Impressive!!

3. Mrs. Harrington on March 15th, 2018 12:54 pm

Way to go, Livewire staff! Your ideas are so thoughtful, and some would be very easily implemented. This is the type of thinking we need more of!

4. Mrs. Dodge on March 15th, 2018 2:19 pm

Thank you, students,
    These are such wonderful ways to honor the lives lost. Great ideas!

5. Mrs. Mangan on March 16th, 2018 6:32 pm

Our students make me proud everyday. Great ideas! Way to go Livewire staff!!!

6. morgan ardrey on March 20th, 2018 8:56 pm

I think all of these ideas would be really nice! I think it would be cool for everyone to get a sticky note and during homeroom everyone could write a compliment and give it to someone they usually don’t talk to. Finally I think all of these ides are a lot safer than the walkout for 17 minutes.

• Editorial: 17 ways to honor those who lost their lives in the Parkland Shooting

Editorial

Editorial: Summer approaches, students plan

Editorial

Editorial: Congratulations to junior high softball

Editorial

Editorial: Sweethearts dance steps ninth graders into new social world

Editorial

Editorial: Painted boxes spread happiness

Editorial

Editorial: Varsity chorus, vocal ensemble deserve pat on back

Editorial

Editorial: Interim grade reports, report cards waste time, paper, money.

Editorial

Editorial: Chromebooks improving students education

Editorial

Editorial: Securly limits Chromebook access

Editorial

Editorial: Drama club deserves kudos

Editorial

Editorial: Sports announcements needed