Editorial: Schools should transition to a four day week!

Grace Stadtmiller

Rest and relaxation. Most teenagers could use this time at home to replenish and refresh for the upcoming week. This benefits student and teacher morale.

Longer weekends, more productive school days, more free time. A longer break on the weekends has many great outcomes. If schools were to add just an hour and a half every school day, students would only have to attend school four days a week rather than five.  Teachers could use a longer period, and students could use a longer weekend.

A four day school week would have many great outcomes in both students’ and teachers’ lives. The longer weekend will give students and teachers a chance to catch up and relax.

Due to teacher burnout, schools are at a loss quality teachers they would prefer to have in districts.

According to an online article “25 States Are Testing 4- Day School Weeks – Will Yours Be Next?” by Elizabeth Muvahill, “Proponents claim a four-day work week helps attract and retain quality teachers.”

Adding an extra day to the weekend, could retain more quality teachers and increase student attendance.

The time frame of  7:35 a.m.- 4:05 p.m. would be that average seven and a half hour school day, which is not a big difference in the slightest to schedules. The longer the day, the more teachers have a chance to explain lessons without rushing and create an opportunity for students to get started on homework and ask for assistance if needed. Students’ education would skyrocket with this change in the schedule.

The article The Advantages of a Four Day School Week states the following, “Some students feel the four-day school week provides an opportunity for extra rest and a less stressful environment. Being out of school one extra day per week allows students to relax or to be more productive.”

Mental health would be improving in schools as well.

Not to mention, a longer weekend will improve students attendance and grades.

“The Melstone School District in Melstone, Mont., has reported statistics indicating that their attendance improved as much as 20 percent over a two-year period after moving to a four-day school week.”

Adding a day to students and teachers weekends would get them coming to school refreshed.

Many people could argue that extra curriculars and sports would not have time to take place if school ends too late. However, many sports events start at around 4:00 p.m. But now, an extra day during the week would be available for extra practice.

To help the issue of a desperate need for a longer weekend, actions should be taken to prove and show schools, administrators and school boards that there are positive effects for a four-day school week.

Students would love this extra day and teachers would too. This idea should be taken seriously, researched, and possibly attempted to be put in place. What could students, teachers, administrators and districts utilize this extra day for?