Grading system changed to pass/fail for fourth marking period

The+School+board+brings+new+changes+to+grades.+The+schools+put+a+new+grading+system+in+place.+

Maddie Cowfer

The School board brings new changes to grades. The schools put a new grading system in place.

With the rest of the school year canceled there have been changes to grading for the new marking period. The school board established new rules and guidelines regarding the grading system. 

The school board has reached a decision to put a pass/fail system in place.  

“Pass/Fail. 59.4% is the breaking point. The key is a good faith effort,” Superintendent Dr. Charles Prijatelj said. 

After some time consulting others, the school, administration and the school board were able to come to a decision on what to do.

“We consulted with the faculty and other education organizations to create as fair and appropriate a solution as possible,” Prijatelj said. 

Since students aren’t physically in school, teachers have to monitor submitted work to take attendance.

“We have the ability to check participation through logins and turning in assignments,” Prijatelj said.

The school and the staff are trying to adjust to this new way of school just like all of the students. 

“We are going to do everything we can to coordinate this process. We will not let children be hurt in this situation,” Prijatelj said.

As the school year finishes online, it’s going to be a transition going into the next school year.

“We are making every effort to limit any negative impacts to students transitioning to the next grade level,” Prijatelj said.

Students will need to give effort to online class as they would if they were in class.

“The key to getting through this situation is for everyone to put forth a solid good faith effort. Kids will need to login and turn in work. Then we will have to assess that they have put forth a reasonable effort to learn the material,” Prijatelj said.

Administrators and teachers are doing all they can to help the students succeed..

“Our goal is to get all of our students through this crisis, so that next year they will be able to continue their education without hindrance or penalty,” Prijatelj said. 

The new grading system is something not only the students need to get used to but the teachers as well. 

“The new pass/fail grading system for the fourth marking period is definitely different for teachers and students alike. It is a pretty easy system.  If students give their effort and complete the assignment, they pass. If not, obviously, they fail. I definitely prefer the normal percentage grading system, but with the global pandemic everyone has to adjust, and I think teachers and students are doing fine with the adjustment,” eighth-grade teacher Jennyfer Wilson said. 

Everyone is going to have to modify their lives to adapt to finishing out this school year. 

“I really don’t mind teaching online, again, we all have to make changes due to COVID-19. Wilson said. 

Assignments being graded are worth no more than ten points, so it could relieve some of the stress brought by not being taught in person. 

“I like it because it takes a little bit of the pressure off of students during this hard time and makes it a little easier on the students,” eighth-grader Lily Adams said. 

The school administration took into account how students would feel during this new time and a way to benefit their grades.  

“This grading system is great, as this new change in the education field has become reasonably harder, so the different eases my mind when they announced the easy grading process,” Adams said.