Plans announced for end of school year

As+the+coronavirus+closure+continues+plans+are+needed+to+collect+materials+and+end+the+school+year.++

Maddie Cowfer

As the coronavirus closure continues plans are needed to collect materials and end the school year.

As the coronavirus school closure continues, plans are underway to collect materials and recognize students.   Students will turn in all of their school materials before the last day of school and awards will be announced. 

Students will be permitted to come back into the building to clean out their lockers; return textbooks, library books, and Chromebooks; obtain awards and yearbooks; etc. The dates and times will be during the first week of June with a staggered schedule. This is the tentative plan barring any changes from the Governor,” head principal Lori Mangan said. 

The school traditionally hosts award ceremonies to recognize students achieving good grades, attendance and fitness. 

“If the Governor’s current stay at home order, social distancing and gatherings of no more than ten people remains in effect, we will be changing plans for the end of the year activities.  At this time, our eighth and ninth grade socials are canceled, and we are planning to recognize our awards recipients virtually.  Students will be recognized for perfect attendance (through March 12), “A” Pin and Academic Achievement.    Information on the awards students are receiving will be mailed home in May.  Additionally, more information will be communicated on the virtual ceremony as well as how students will receive the actual awards,” Mangan said. 

The school year is over the first week of June after grades are submitted on Google Classroom. 

“Once grades are submitted and Chromebooks are returned to school on June 1, 2 or 3,” Mangan said. 

It’s not any easier for the teachers and staff to get used to the idea of not being able to go to work and go on with their normal ways of going to be.  

“Just remember to stay safe and well.  We miss you terribly and can’t wait to see you all again! Daily remember to read, exercise and laugh,” Mangan said. 

Not being able to see classmates or teachers again may still be difficult for students to get used to.

“I think that it’s a different way to end the year. I have mixed emotions about it. It’s odd that it ended off from seeing you on Monday to see you next year. Nobody had one clue that we were going to be having a three-month break instead of a three day weekend. It makes me look forward to starting school hopefully in the fall,” seventh-grader Ellaina Saylor said.