School Board Meeting Plan for 2020-2021

Virtual Learning! Alecea Wisor is working on a school assignment from home. The school board recently approved virtual learning for K-12. “I prefer face to face because it’s an easier way to communicate with my friends and teachers,” says Alecea.

On November 24, 2020, AASD (Altoona Area School District) held a school board meeting to decide whether students will remain on the current hybrid schedule or go to a fully virtual schedule. For the past few days, Blair County has had an increase of COVID-19 cases; therefore, our school board decided to have students go fully virtual. This is to make sure everyone stays healthy and safe.

The first day of virtual school began on December 1, 2020. Each day, students are expected to log in before 7:35 a.m.  and submit first period attendance. The virtual time schedule stayed the same as the hybrid schedule to eliminate confusion with class period times and create consistency. Each student is still expected to perform their best, giving his or her best effort. Grades will not be the same as they were in March 2020. Teachers are expected to be on Zoom or Google Meet to allow their students to join live classes and engage in lessons.

Additionally, teachers will continue to communicate through Google Classroom as well with their students. Students must continue to participate in any activity their teacher assigns during scheduled class time. If students submit attendance late, or if they have an early dismissal, they needed to call into their respected grade level office in order to communicate with the secretaries about tardies, absences, and early dismissals. This schedule will continue on until February 1, 2021, or until Blair County’s COVID-19 cases decrease. 

I had the opportunity to speak to a few classmates about their thoughts on going fully virtual. Alecea Wisor, an eighth grade student, said, “Virtual school can get very boring at times, but I am willing to be virtual and stay safe.” Vienna Shoup, also an eighth grade student, says, “I don’t like it as much because I can’t interact with my classmates and friends.”

Our school district and school board continue to work diligently to make sure each and every student gets the education and learning tools during this time. This plan is in effect until February 1, 2021 or further notice. Everyone remains optimistic to return to face and face instruction in the spring.