News Brief: Wrestling Tournament at Connellsville

Wrestling%21+The+Altoona+wrestling+team+went+to+Connellsville+for+a+tournament+against+five+other+teams.+They+won+four+out+of+the+five+matches+they+wrestled+that+day%2C+taking+home+the+first+place+trophy.+
Andie Kephart
Wrestling! The Altoona wrestling team went to Connellsville for a tournament against five other teams. They won four out of the five matches they wrestled that day, taking home the first place trophy.

On Jan. 12 the junior high wrestling team won a tournament at Connellsville. We went against five different teams; Erie Cathedral Prep, North Allegheny, Chambersburg, Connellsville and Chestnut Ridge. 

This tournament was unlike any other tournament. It will never be forgotten. 

The Connellsville coach said that they have been undefeated for eight years straight. It was a lot of hard work, and it took everything they had, but the Mountain Lions wrestled their best and got first place at the tournament. 

“It felt amazing to finally avenge the loss of last year, and to also break their eight year long undefeated streak,” said eighth grader Liam Chirdon. 

The score ended 42-23. We had high morale after winning against Connelsville, but unfortunately, we lost against Chestnut Ridge at the tournament.

The team will travel to Jersey Shore on Jan. 27 for their next match.