GACTC opens doors to ninth grade students

Myah Lear

This paper is the form that student needed to fill out to attend the visitation during school.

The Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center (GACTC) will open its doors to students on Dec. 5, during the school day, so they are able to experience the classroom environment. They will also open their doors on Dec. 3 from 5-8 p.m. 

The students, during these events, will be able to see different things that are offered at the GACTC. They will be able to look at the classrooms and get some sort of an idea of whether they want to do it and what class if so. The students will be able to choose from a wide selection of different classes that suits what they are interested in. 

The papers for the visitations were due on Nov. 27. But don’t worry! If anyone didn’t turn them in on time he or she can go to the open house.

“There is an open house Dec. 3 from 5 to 8 p.m. where parents and students can go and look at the different programs,” ninth grade guidance counselor Bridget Stroh said.

GACTC could be a good fit for certain students according to their abilities and interests. 

“I think it depends on the individual. GACTC is a fit for some kids especially if they want to go into a vocational career,” Stroh said.

Students should expect to see how the classes work and operate.

“They signed up to visit three different programs, so they will get a look at how the programs operate and if it’s something they would be interested in,” Stroh said.

The students will be able to visit different programs to see what might be fit for them.

“It depends on the student. They have different programs. It depends on what they are interested in. That’s why we take the visitations. Also if you go to open house you can visit all of them,” ninth grade guidance counselor Damon Luciano said.

The GACTC’s program with the junior high has been going on for about 25 years.

“It started out as an at risk program for ninth graders. It’s no longer like that though. It’s just supposed to since ninth an advantage down the road,” Luciano said.