Announcements for Thursday, Oct. 27!

(10/27) The place had a bewitching power which caused all those who came to the region to become dreamy eyed and see strange sights! Some say that the place was bewitched by a High German Doctor. Others, that an old Indian chief, the prophet or wizard of his tribe, held his pow wows there. I hear tell of ghost on horseback…Without a head! He is often seen in these parts hurrying along in the gloom of the night…As if on the wings of the wind in nightly quest for his head. And the specter is known at all the campfires as…The Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow! The Altoona Area Junior High School Drama Club is proud to present the spooky classic – The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Written by Washington Irving and adapted by Kathryn Shultz Miller, Sleepy Hollow is loaded with all the thrills, chills and laughs to keep you on the edge of your seats. Performances are scheduled for 7 p.m. on both Thursday, November 3, 2022 and Friday, November 4, 2022 with a matinee show at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, November 5, 2022.  All performances will take place in the Altoona Area Junior High School Auditorium. General admission tickets will only be on sale at the door and will cost $8 for adults and $5 for students. Doors open approximately 1/2 hour before each show. Don’t lose your head – make plans today to come to a show! We hope to see you there!

(10/27) This announcement is for the BOYS Soccer team.  Boys team only:  Please report to the athletic foyer at the beginning of 8th period.  Report to 8th period first so your teacher can record your attendance, and then come down to the athletic foyer for a brief meeting with your coach.

(10/27) Attention all 7th & 8th grade girls interested in trying out for basketball this season… physicals are right after school today. Don’t forget your packet and come straight to the gym. Coach Bailor will meet you all down there. 

(10/24-11/2) Attention Students:  The library is hosting its monthly Lego Club meeting on Wednesday, November 2nd from 2:45-3:30.  Please take note of the time change and be sure to have your ride home here by 3:30.  Again, Lego Club will meet until 3:30 from now on.  If you are interested in joining this month, please sign up in the library before Nov. 2.  You must sign up monthly to participate.  Any questions, please see Mrs. McCaulley in the library.

(10/25-10/27) Attention 8th graders who applied to be members of the 8th Grade Class Committee…Please check your email for details about our first meeting that will be held next week.  Check your email and ask Mrs. Bronson or Ms. Wilson if you have any questions.

(10/24-11/3) Students, this week the Sharing for the Holidays committee will begin their annual Veterans Day collection competition. All monies raised will go to our retired veterans living at the Hollidaysburg VA Home. Bring in spare change to your first period homeroom from Monday, October 24th through Friday, November 4th. The three highest-collecting homerooms for each grade level will receive a movie reward in the auditorium. The highest-raising homeroom from each grade level will receive the extra prize of a Dunkin’ Donuts breakfast! 

(10/25-10/27) Physicals for boys basketball for 7th and 8th grade is Thursday October 27 at 3:00pm in the gymnasium.  Please bring your completed physical packet with you to physicals. 

(10/26 – 10/28) There will be Non-Mandatory Open Mats for all athletes planning on wrestling this season beginning on Monday October 31st right after school in the Mat Room.  Will end approximately 4:30 pm.  Open Mats will be every Monday and Wednesday leading up to the season.

(10/27)  Attention students:  Here is a riddle:  It is the beginning of eternity, the end of time and space.  It is the start of every end, the end of every place.  What is this?  If you like puzzles and riddles and the 24 game, come to our Mathcounts meeting Wednesday after school from 2:45 until 3:30.  Please see Mrs. Abbott in C275 for details or email.  See Mrs.  Abbott for the answers!  (Answer:  the letter “e” )

(10/27) Celebrate Life. Live Drug Free – That’s this year’s Red Ribbon Week theme.  AAJHS loves our students and we want you to lead happy, healthy, fun and wonderful lives.  We know that by making healthy choices, like staying drug free, you are more likely to live the best life for you.  So take a moment to commit to yourself that you will continue to make healthy choices to ensure a brighter future.  You won’t regret it!  Tomorrow’s theme is Drugs Are SPOOKY sponsored by the Student Council.  Wear your Halloween costume tomorrow to help show that AAJHS is drug free! Please remember to not wear masks and to not bring weapons of any kind.