• May 7Lunch - French Toast Sticks w/Sausage, Tater Tots and Choice of Fruit and Milk!
  • May 6Lunch - BBQ Pork Rib Sandwich, Baked Beans and Choice of Fruit and Milk!
  • May 3Click here for today's announcements!
  • May 3Lunch - Macaroni & Cheese, Mixed Vegetables, Stewed Tomatoes and Choice of Fruit and Milk!
  • May 1Lunch - Cheese Steak Hoagie, Sweet Potato Fries, Italian Salad and Choice of Fruit and Milk!
  • April 30Starting Monday, May 6 Roar-A-Palooza tickets will go on sale for $10 until Friday, May 10 during fourth period in rooms 212 and 267!
  • April 30Lunch - Nachos w/Toppings, Baked Beans and Choice of Fruit and Milk!
  • April 29Lunch - Hot Dog, French Fries and Choice of Fruit and Milk!

“The Livewire” gets livelier

After a visit from eighth grade candidates, the Newspaper room, led by Wanda Pletcher and assisted by Justin Arthur, on occasion, prepares for a conclusion to this year and the start of next. This picture shows Sammi Beeler, Arian Savoy and Cassy Salyards working together and enjoying the Newspaper class. Taken by Andrae’ Holsey.
"The Livewire" gets livelier
After a visit from eighth grade candidates, the newspaper room, led by Wanda Pletcher and assisted by Justin Arthur, on occasion, prepares for a conclusion to this year and the start of next. This picture shows Sammi Beeler, Arian Savoy and Cassy Salyards working together and enjoying the newspaper class. Photo by Andrae’ Holsey

Ninth graders work for a national competition and eighth graders get ready to start anew in the newspaper world. These eighth graders, who recently visited the newspaper room, will go on to become next year’s journalists.

“There’s a lot of great opportunities and I [look forward to] learning a lot about writing and technological aspects,” eighth grader Jacob Long said.

During visitation, the ninth grade editors presented pros and cons of joining newspaper . Topics included the “often enjoyed” NY trip, a travel to PA’s capital, Harrisburg, not to mention, staff members enjoy the liberty of writing on any school subject they please, with minor limitations, courtesy of the Supreme Court and the first amendment.

Additional perks include the JEA Young Aspiring Journalist Portfolio (national competition with rewards, credibility, etc. included) , pizza parties (birthdays, special events, etc.),secret pals (every staff member has another member from which they receive presents throughout the year, plus a party at the end of the year to meet such a “pal”), bowling trips (possibility of taking a bowling trip with chaperones to congratulate good work), and more.

These possibilities and more are courtesy of Wanda Pletcher and various other teachers and parents, willing to put in free time for a productive class.

The JEA journalist of the year competition involves taking a single student’s portfolio through several states and a final competition. Last year, writer Alyssa Fasolo, went on to become second place out of hundreds of schools and students, after a Florida school student. This year, Ashton Leberfinger will go on to represent “The Livewire.”

“Newspaper is a more enjoyable version of English class [as long as behavior is at least slightly acceptable],” Kearsten Sprankle, Zach Garlick, Ashton Leberfinger, Collin Dougherty and others said.

“It’s good on your college record to be in press,” Kirsten Carter said.

“Everyone I know in it [enjoys] it,” Courtney Carter said.

To the eighth graders expecting to join, the members of “The Livewire” wish luck and encouragement in the decisions for the upcoming school year.