Student performances end year

The music department shows their roar!

Paige Glasgow

Mrs. Connell leading the chorus in its spring concert.

Cameron Havens

The end of the year often gives students a reason to start counting the days. One part of this time of year is the musical performances that occur in April and May.

The band already had their spring concerts – the band on April 19 and the chorus on April 28. The combined orchestra and symphonic band performance will occur on May 16.

During the band concert, the junior varsity band played four songs: “Above and Beyond,” “Blue,” “Espana Cani” and “Awake the Iron.” In addition, the varsity band played six songs which were “National Emblem,” “Three Folk Miniatures,” “Convergence,” “Hedwig’s Theme,” “Joy” and their marching tune “Shut Up and Dance.” The percussion ensemble also performed their feature before combining with the band to play the school’s song “Manhattan Beach.”

“Although I was not a part of the percussion ensemble, I enjoyed the concert and had a lot of fun playing with the combined bands,” ninth grader Noah Drumm said.

Ninth grade students enrolled in band played their final junior high concert before they will move on to the high school’s band program.

“It stinks to leave the junior high because we have such a good program here. I’m excited, though. I can not wait to play in the band with the students. It will allow me to further my music career, and fulfill my lifelong dream,” ninth grader Steven Betsinger said.

The percussion ensemble performed their new feature called “A New Beginning: The Rebirth of Lidz.” This replaced the normal drumline feature that is normally performed throughout the year.  

“Besides everyone quitting, I enjoyed the percussion ensemble. We were able to have harder music, and we were able to do marching movements instead of a skit,” ninth grader Jonah Zolnak said.

The chorus performed its spring concert on April 28 where they sang multiple songs for their audience and families. Each composition fell under different categories of harmony and will show complete balance between high and low notes.

The orchestra’s concert will take place on May 16, and they will be performing with the symphonic band. The symphonic band consists of eighth and ninth grade students who were selected to participate in the orchestra’s performance. The orchestra will be working towards its performance in May, and they are anxious to perform.

“The people who come to the concerts are usually parents or friends of students who come to support their friend/family,” ninth grade band instructor Kent Martin said.
Because this is not a competition year for the Music Department, musicians are able to focus on performing for friends and family.