Aesthetics: The Damage It Has On Teens Mental Health

Emma Hovan
Absurd aesthetics! Aesthetics are getting out of hand. Many people were saying how the names of some aesthetics made absolutely no sense. Eighth grader Livi Adams said, “ I think that Barbiecore and Fairycore are stupid and so unnecessary.”

Words like “clean girl,” “vanilla girl,” and “coastal grandma” may appear as arbitrary words to many, but to me and my generation, they are distinct styles, preferences and identities, also known as aesthetics.

The domination of aesthetics within internet culture is due to many factors, each contributing to its pervasive influence on social media platforms worldwide. First, platforms like Instagram, TikTok and Pinterest serve as virtual galleries, showcasing images and content that show aspirational aesthetic ideals. These platforms offer a plethora of aesthetic inspirations, inviting individuals to curate their own identities.

The vanilla girl aesthetic is synonymous with oversized sweaters, light neutral colors, Ugg boots, vanilla Laneige lip sleeping mask and Apple headphones. They also almost always ordered an iced latte with oat or coconut milk.
(Emma Hovan)

So, even though aesthetics may appear harmless on the surface level, there are many damaging problems. The main reason why? It’s detrimental to mental health, but more specifically teens’ mental health.

The quest for self-discovery and identity-formation is a crucial aspect of the human experience, and aesthetics are stripping this natural process away. The pressure to conform to rigid aesthetic standards can impose significant psychological burdens on teens’ minds. The relentless pursuit of fitting into a predetermined aesthetic mold can lead to feelings of inadequacy, insecurity and alienation, as individuals struggle with the boundary between their authentic selves and the idealized prereated personas.

The that girl aesthetic is a trend where women want to be “that girl.” The one who wakes up early, wears athleisure wear, minimal makeup, practices yoga, journals, drinks iced coffee and eats smoothie bowls. Another important factor is that these girls were just constantly trying to improve their lives.
(Emma Hovan)

It also doesn’t help that these aesthetics dictate virtually every aspect of daily life. To conform perfectly to a certain aesthetic you are expected to eat, speak and have certain hobbies that match it. There have been countless times where I decided to order iced coffee (even though I like hot coffee), talked less (even though I naturally love to talk) and started drawing (even though I am the least artistic person ever) just to fit into a certain aesthetic that was made up by social media.

The dark academia aesthetic usually consists of someone who wears vintage clothes, listens to classical music, reads books ( particularly “The Picture of Dorian Gray”), loves Greek mythology and lights candles. They also probably had an intense Harry Potter phase.
(Emma Hovan)

It can not be overexpressed that by grouping oneself into a narrowly defined aesthetic category, individuals risk stifling their own potential for growth and self-expression, as they become trapped in a cycle of conformity and self-censorship. If we want to stop this current online pandemic, we need to denormalize a life where we are constantly trying to abide by these aesthetic rules, and instead normalize people just being people.