School continues security measures

Security cameras are in use throughout the school building. This is to make sure students are safe.

After the recent school stabbing at Franklin Regional High School, students are paying attention to security measures taken at this school.

Metal detectors continue to be in use and the school also employs security officers in the secondary buildings and for the district.  When periodic metal detector checks occur, students found with metal are searched to ensure the safety of the building.

“I think they are necessary because it’s for our safety,” ninth grader Mariah Wise said.

Some students don’t feel the same way though.

“I don’t think they are necessary all of the time,” ninth grade student Josh Brown said.

Metal detectors can help with safety in schools.

“It can catch people who have weapons on them, “ Wise said.

“It can help by seeing if student’s have knives or guns on them,” Brown said.

The detectors can make some students feel like they are invading their personal space.

“I don’t think they are invading our personal space; it’s for our safety,” Brown said.

“They are just trying to make sure everyone is safe,” Wise said.

Security officers sometimes bring the police dogs into school to check the school if there is any sign of drugs in students lockers in school. The metal detectors and dogs will still be in use throughout the rest of the school year.