Track teams impress early in season: Seventh, eighth take first in multiple meets

Multiple+Altoona+students+participate+in+a+track+meet+at+Manson+Park.+
Multiple Altoona students participate in a track meet at Manson Park.

As the corner rounds off to straight lines marked in white against the maroon turf, they take  deep breaths. They take in the moment. Moving past the starting point and forming a circle to start agilities, trying not to make eye contact with the opposing team. Their deep breaths turn to heaves while finishing warm ups, warm ups that are shaky due to nerves for the upcoming meet.

The track season has been going well for the mountain lions so far this season.  Currently, seventh and eighth grade boys are both undefeated, along with the eighth grade girls. Although seventh grade girls have put up quite a fight, they have only fallen once. Eighth grade defeating many teams like the: North Allegheny; Clearfield; Dubois & State College. While seventh grade has defeated many teams like: Central Mountain; Tyrone and cross town rivals, Hollidaysburg.

Both girls’ and boys’ track teams have faced setbacks at the beginning of the year, having started late in season. Being given only two weeks to practice before their first meet. They have pulled off winning their first meet with barely any preparation time and being in the school gym, not practicing, but once a week at Mansion.

The coaching team also has high hopes for all the student athletes. Coaches seem to believe that they have many star athletes in their midst. With the results of track meets so far it seems that many student athletes will advance the championships without any problem. The coaches of this team have really impacted the kids.

“They always push me to do the best I can do, and help me if I don’t believe I can do it,” eighth grader Baylie Horten said.

“We usually do workout, and then we do our events. But if it’s a day we don’t have a meet we will do a really hard workout,” Horten said.

Even with the amount of work put forth in practice “I love practice, it’s really fun,”  is something that kids can still say, like eighth grader Alyson Schobel.

“Track is a really great sport to make friends, and you should really try it!” Schobel said.

After all the effort from dozens, upon dozens of practices, along with many meets some may be able take home a place at districts. If these athletes keep practicing as hard as they are now, in the upcoming years Altoona will be the team to beat!