Vocal ensemble participates in county chorus

Ninth grade student Kiersten Young stands in front of the camera to get picture taken for County Chorus.
~Photo courtesy of Miranda Harkins
Ninth grade student Kiersten Young stands in front of the camera to get picture taken for County Chorus. ~Photo courtesy of Miranda Harkins

Each year, schools around the county get a group of singers together to participate in the annual County Chorus Concert.  It takes place usually in the beginning of March and last for two days.  This year it took place at Tyrone middle school and was held on March 4 and 5.

“County Chorus is a select group of singers from area schools who come together, work with a guest conductor for two days and perform a concert,” ninth grader Kiersten Young said.

Music selected for this group is the same for each school and usually consists of different genres.

“This year we sang folk songs and songs from the Renaissance,” Young said.

According to Young, many students were involved with this program.

“There were probably 60 to 100 students in each section-alto, baritone, soprano-making it about 200 kids altogether,” Young said.

There was much to be done and songs that needed to be practiced, being that there was several schools there, each with 15 students or more.

“On the first day, we were on stage for a few hours practicing our music.  After four hours, we ate lunch then came back and rehearsed for another two hours,” Young said.

“The second day there was the same routine except that after 4:00 we didn’t get to go home yet. Instead, we changed into concert clothes, took pictures, warmed up and had our  concert at 7:00, “ Young said.

Some enjoyed going to county, but others did not.

“It was definitely tiring after the second day, especially singing the songs over and over again, after spending a month learning it and then practicing it for six hours straight for two days,” Young said.

“I really enjoyed seeing all the other schools and working with the new conductor,” ninth grader Denae Hurd said.

According to Young, the concert sounded great, but there was some trouble with the dynamics a few hours before, during practice.

“It was tough to fix because it was such a big group of kids.  However, by the end of practice we finally go it under control and everything sounded good for the concert,” Young said.

“Compared to other schools, I think our group was much more prepared with the songs giving us the advantage,” Young said.

“I think all the schools were equal.  We all knew the songs, but needed a little more practice with the dynamics,” Hurd said.

“If I had to go back and do it all over I would say that we should have focused more on the little things rather than the bigger ones in our music.  I think it would have made the songs sound better altogether,” Young said.

“If I had to go back and do it all over again I would want to have more time to practice and get to know the other kids who participated,” Hurd said.

Photo by Miranda Harkins