• May 8Badminton Tournament, Basketball Tournament and Dodge Ball Games May 14 from 3-5 in A and B Gyms.

• May 8In need of dresses, ties, shirts/pants or shoes - check out the Social closet in room 210.

• May 89th graders: Social tickets will be sold for $10.00 the week of the dance.

• May 8AAHS Mountain Lion Mascot Tryouts Wednesday, May 15 at 3:00 pm in Room B8.

• May 8AAHS Cheerleading tryouts will be held in the AAHS Auxiliary Gym on May 6 and 8-10

• May 8Summer school applications are available in the guidance office until May 14

• March 13The Daffodil DELIVERY DATE has been moved to WEDNESDAY, APRIL 3.

Students face dangerous sidewalks

http://tomsriver.shorebeat.com/2018/01/t-r-parents-lament-snow-covered-sidewalks-frigid-phenomena-at-intermediate-south/

Sadie Price, Reporter

In the school district area many of the sidewalks and crosswalks are not cleared for pedestrians.  The sidewalks and crosswalks need to be cleared. Cleaning them off fully would be a positive change for the community.

Sidewalks cause a big problem because students and faculty have a hard time getting to school.  A good example is in the morning when parents are dropping off their kids and there is nowhere for them to get out without stepping in snow.  This causes students and faculty to have to wait to get to the top of the school where the snow is somewhat cleared off.  People have fallen and even injured themselves on the sidewalks.

The second most important issue occurring is the crosswalks.  The crosswalks are not cleaned to the fullest meaning students and faculty cannot cross safely. Motorists cannot see the crosswalks and may not stop.  Many times the crosswalk is cleared on the road, but where the crosswalk starts and ends there is nowhere to go. This is the main issue because if no one can stand where the crosswalk starts then the drivers most likely won’t know they need to cross.  

There are many ways to stop this from occurring. A good way to help this is when snow storms do occur people who plow the roads should not block the crosswalks and sidewalks.   Another way to help this is if the snow gets plowed onto the sidewalks and crosswalk then the school district should clean it off. If the district or people who own the private properties don’t clean off the snow then students could even volunteer and help clean it off to make it easier for other students and staff members.

Sidewalks and crosswalks are the most important thing for students and other people get to their destinations safely, but they have to be cleaned first for this to happen.

About the Writer
Sadie Price, reporter

Hi! I'm Sadie, and I'm 14 years old. I love taking pictures so that's why I joined newspaper. I play soccer for the high school. I have been playing soccer...

1 Comment

One Response to “Students face dangerous sidewalks”

1. Anonymous Jorge on March 28th, 2019 10:16 am

I’m glad you had brought this up, this is a serious issue that should’ve been addressed more by the school and city, but wasn’t.

• Students face dangerous sidewalks

Columns

Students deserve field trip

• Students face dangerous sidewalks

Columns

A burning cathedral, a loss of history, a lack of conversation

• Students face dangerous sidewalks

Columns

School hours affect students’ sleep

• Students face dangerous sidewalks

Columns

Internet lags cause work backup

• Students face dangerous sidewalks

Columns

Students NEED five minutes between classes

• Students face dangerous sidewalks

Columns

Lockdown drills need to be taken more seriously

• Students face dangerous sidewalks

Columns

Students should be allowed to carry phones

• Students face dangerous sidewalks

Columns

Listen up: Announcements are important

• Students face dangerous sidewalks

Columns

Securly blocks unnecessary sites

• Students face dangerous sidewalks

Columns

School needs more movie days

Students face dangerous sidewalks