Life of a twirler: Finding your passion

The next chapter in a life long story

Josh Bardelang

Marching along! On Oct. 24, Danielle Bardelang marches down the field in her feature costume. Danielle is the majorette captain and had the opportunity to be a soloist at her last game.

Danielle Bardelang, Reporter

The battle of finding a hobby wasn’t the easiest for me. I went from ice skating to gymnastics, to baton twirling in just two short years. When I finally settled with the sport of baton twirling in 2014, I knew that it was my sport. The ShowTwirlers (a company in town) became my family. The coaches, Pam Maierhofer, Pj Maierhofer Burkin and Jonathan Burkin, welcomed me and understood that I needed somewhere to be myself. After just a couple weeks of lessons, the coaches had already said I had natural talent. 

When I first started, I was completely against the idea of competing. I wanted to twirl for me and thought that no one else needed to see me. Miss Pam, on the other hand, did not think so. I was soon wrapped up in the competition swing and wanted to join the competitive team. I finally felt like I was where I was meant to be. Since then, the team has pushed me to become who I am today. I have now gone on to win seven individual national open contests and have had the opportunity to travel in all directions.

The ShowTwirler family has pushed me past my limits. From performing in front of hundreds of people at the BJC (Bryce Jordan Center) to getting concussions from batons colliding, they have always been by my side to support me. Spending a straight five hours in the gym with them every week has made my twirling abilities what they are.

Baton twirling has given me the ability to participate in the school band front. I was even able to tryout for feature and captain. Being the majorette captain and third feature has opened up many doors and has allowed me to show more of my friends and family who I truly am as a person. The indoor majorette team has allowed my fellow students to see who I really am.

If you are on the search for somewhere to express yourself, don’t worry. There are many activities that you can be a part of that can bring the best out in you. Even if it’s not twirling, your options are endless.