Clear backpacks shouldn’t be enforced

Giuliana Miller

Clear backpacks are very flimsy, and they are either very small or very big. My backpack barely fits in the locker, and I have to force it into it.

In an email sent in Jul. 2021, the district announced that all students in grades 6-12 would be required to use a clear backpack. This policy was started in the beginning of the 2021 school year, it was used in the 2021-2022 school year and is still being used in the 2022-2023 school year. The clear backpack policy and searching students daily are both efforts made to increase school safety.

Having to use clear backpacks is inconvenient and a hassle. Most clear backpacks you have to buy online, and you can’t just go to the store and buy one.

When I was buying a backpack for the 2021-2022 school year, it took me about two days to find one that wasn’t expensive and that I liked. When I found the backpack that I wanted, I had to order it, and it took about 2 or 3 weeks to be delivered.  When it was delivered, I saw that it was very tiny, and the most that it would be able to hold was my binder, so I had to send that backpack back and order a different one. The other backpack that I got didn’t come until a few weeks before school started, and I wasn’t sure if it would arrive on time or when it was going to arrive.

It is inconvenient that students have to use clear backpacks and get searched every morning. Students are required to use clear backpacks so school officials can see what is inside the backpacks, although the backpacks are clear students still have to be searched. If the school wants to do searches, students should be allowed to use any backpack they want. Students should be allowed any backpacks if the school does searches because school officials would still be able to see what is inside the backpack.

On Amazon clear backpacks range anywhere from $10 to $95 depending on the size and brand. Most of the cheaper backpacks are small and can’t fit all of the necessary school supplies that students need. If students want to have a bigger backpack that will fit all of their supplies, they will have to spend more money, which some students can’t afford. Most backpacks, even the more expensive ones, aren’t good quality and are flimsy which causes them to break easily. My backpack was about $85 and the whole bottom and the straps of my backpack are ripping. If the backpacks break easily then students will have to replace them every time they break and some students can’t afford to buy them multiples times a year.